May 19, 2016
Dear NBFA Parents & Guardians:
I hope this note finds you in the best of health and spirits! Please read this letter carefully as it contains important information concerning Summer Boost Academy and the upcoming school year. Special thanks to those parents who attended one of our four informational sessions on the changes.
First, key changes for 2016-2017:
- A progressive model of education. NBFA children will engage in active instruction that develops essential critical thinking skills needed for 21st Century careers. This means more:
- theme and project-based work
- hands-on learning
- field trips
- research, exploration , peer collaboration and presentations
- Families must fill out the free and reduced price lunch form to determine eligibility for the lower rates
- Families that do not fill out the free and reduced price form will be charged the full, weekly per child fee of $50 for the first student/$25 for each additional sibling
- Payment must be made for the month in advance
- Applications are due by Monday, August 1, 2016
- Smaller class sizes (avg. 17 students per class). This will allow your child more individualized attention from the teacher.
- Uniforms optional. Parents may decide whether their child wears the NBFA uniform or whether he/she would be more comfortable learning in other age appropriate attire.
- School hours change to 7:50 a.m. to 1:50 p.m. with STRETCH Academy/Aftercare available until 3:50 p.m. In response to parent concerns, STRETCH Academy or Aftercare will be made available to the children of working families, as needed.
- After Care Pre-K and Kindergarten only 1:50 – 3:50 p.m. ($$)
- Children may be picked up at any time
- Weekly per child fees are as follows:
- Full rate: $50 per week for the first child/$25 for each additional sibling
- Families who qualify for reduced lunch: $30per week/$15 per week for each additional sibling
- Families who qualify for free lunch: $10 per week per child/$5 per week for each additional sibling
- Late fee: $5 per day after 10 minutes
- STRETCH Academy (GRADES 1-6 ONLY) 1:50 – 3:50 p.m.
- Families must commit to the program; Students may NOT be picked up at any time without prior written notice
- As this is a privately funded program, there is NO cost to families
- Applications are due by Tuesday, May 31, 2016
- STRETCH Academy Ambassador Program (Grades 7-8 ONLY) 1:50 – 3:50 p.m.
- Qualified 7th and 8th graders who exemplify NBFA’s STRETCH principles in their academics and behavior may apply to work as classroom helpers during the STRETCH program. Select students will be assigned to assist the teacher(s) with engaging activities for students in younger grades. Please fill out the STRETCH Academy Ambassador application, if you are interested in having your child apply. Applications are due Friday, June 3, 2016.
I know this is a lot of information to digest. Please read through the packet thoroughly, complete the enrollment forms and return them by their respective due dates. Feel free to contact the Main Office with any clarifying questions.
Ronelle P. Swagerty
Head of School